Grodno fortress - fortification system around the city of Grodno, functioned as a fortress of the Russian Empire, the German Empire and the Republic of Poland. Grodno fortress consisted of a large number of fortifications, among which the central place occupied by the forts. Forts of Grodno fortress surrounded the city of Grodno on all sides, at a distance of about 10 kilometers away. Today Grodno fortress abandoned and destroyed, but some of the forts of the fortress are still not completely destroyed condition, such as:

Fort of Grodno fortress №1

Fort of Grodno fortress №1

Fort of Grodno fortress №2

Fort of Grodno fortress №2

Fort of Grodno fortress №3

Fort of Grodno fortress №3

Fort of Grodno fortress №4

Fort of Grodno fortress №4

Extant earthen forts were built in the years 1887-1889. These buildings are outstanding sights of the Grodno region, architectural monuments, and examples of fortification art of the 19th century. Most of the other forts of Grodno fortress have not been completed by the beginning of First World War. Moreover, during this war, forts often blown by retreating armies, so at this point they have actually lost:

Forts of Grodno fortress

Next to some of the forts of Grodno fortress can be found mass graves of soldiers who participated in the First World War. There are also sites devoted to the events of World War II. But in any war Grodno Fortress did not play a significant role. It is often passed from one hand to another, some of the construction of the fortress is sometimes used is not quite as intended (as a warehouse or a prison).

 

Scheme (Map) of location of the Grodno fortress forts:

Forts of Grodno fortress, Scheme, Map