Halshany - is a large village of Ashmyany district, Grodno region of Belarus. The main attraction of the village Halshany are fragments of a small castle, which was built here in the first half of the 17th century. Unfortunately, the castle in the village Halshany very damaged during the First and Second World War, so up to now only ruins remain of it. Moreover, not only ruin the lock, but only approximately one third of its parts. The rest is destroyed to the ground.

In the past, the castle was surrounded by walls and moats, which were filled with the waters of small local rivers. In the corners of the castle in the village Halshany towered towers and the perimeter wall adjacent thereto, located two residential buildings, forming a closed courtyard the size of 60 by 60 meters. In total there were six towers, in addition to the four corner towers of two more residential buildings rose in the middle. In one of the walls of the castle was built as a chapel. In all of this, it should be noted that this castle was soon fortified palace, as its architecture was not many important defensive attributes. For example, there were large windows.

Castle in the village of Halshany enveloped many false legends and mysteries. Their study can devote a separate treatise. It is also assumed that this castle was used as a prototype of the famous Belarusian writer Uladzimir Karatkievich for her detective novel "The Dark Castle Olshansky". However, the real history of the castle in the village Halshany unfortunately very prosaic and sad.

So, he was raised on the outskirts of the village in the first half of the 17th century as a fortified palace residence of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania vice-chancellor Paul Stefan Sapieha. After his death, the castle in the village Halshany and related holdings were immediately divided between its many creditors. During the Northern War the castle was partially damaged, but part of it remains habitable. For some reasons, locking in fact, no one was taken to restore. On the contrary, the damaged body versed in the brick, and the survivors rebuilt in more and more ordinary residential housing. By the mid-19th century it has been disassembled the third floor and brick built tavern. Chapel by that time had not acted and it was converted into a warehouse. Some other parts of the palace were already in ruins. A housing remained virtually only one body.

However, until the beginning of the First World War the castle was still people lived. But as already mentioned, the castle was badly damaged during the two world wars that followed. And after World War II remains of dwellings were completely dismantled for the construction of the necessary local farms outbuildings and houses of culture.

Castle in the village of Halshany at the moment is very much in need of restoration. This restoration is formally scheduled, but, unfortunately, can not start due to a lack of funding. While in the former castle only put things in the relative order, and the excavated ruins. So now even the surviving ruins can be a good look. Not so long ago, even they were buried under a layer of soil. But even now, the castle in the village Halshany is a valuable architectural monument of the early 17th century, the historical and cultural value and an important landmark of Belarus.

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Fortunately, the list of attractions of the village is not exhausted Halshany lock. Halshany village is very rich in attractions, especially by the standards of the settlements of this size. For example, the next important landmark Halshany village is a complex of buildings of the former Franciscan monastery, the central place in which occupies the Church of St. John the Baptist, built in 1618 on the foundations of an even more ancient temple (Calvinist cathedral) and very substantially rebuilt in 1770. The church in the village Halshany built as a temple at the Franciscan monastery, so it is also known as the Franciscan church.

As we see the church in the village Halshany very old, he was already 400 years old. By the way, after the adjustment in the second half of the 18th century, the temple has a never seriously hurts, and not reconstructed and rebuilt, but only maintained in proper condition. It was only after World War II, the temple fell into decay, but today was again rebuilt and continues to be the current Catholic church. Before the church is an imposing bell tower of the 19th century. The building of the church in the village Halshany is an architectural monument of the early 17th century, historical and cultural value of Belarus. The church is located in the center of the village Halshany, at the intersection of two main streets.

After the uprising in 1830, many Catholic monasteries in the territory of modern Belarus were closed, a Franciscan monastery in the village of Halshany was also closed. At the same time the Church of St. John the Baptist parish has become commonplace. Today, in contrast to the church, a monastery in the village of Halshany still does not work. Therefore, the monastery building, located behind the church, not used, are in relative disrepair and in need of restoration. But these buildings were built around the same time as the Church, that is, at the beginning of the 17th century, and then substantially rebuilt in 1832. Earlier monastic body was used as a branch of the National Art Museum of Belarus, but in 2008 the branch was closed due to lack of funding. some dark and completely fictional legends the way, with the monastic buildings in the village Halshany also connected.

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Another interesting sight is the village Halshany St. George church built here in 1901. Church in the village Halshany is in good condition and functioning. It is located between the castle and the center of the village, so it is impossible not to notice. This church is a monument of Belarusian architecture of the early 20th century.

Halshany

In the village Halshany there are several small attractions. Primarily this includes some interesting residential, commercial and administrative buildings of the late 19th century, which can be attributed to the common historical building, as well as roadside chapel. All of these buildings are located far away from the attractions already mentioned. Tourists and travelers visiting the village Halshany will notice them.

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

However, the list of attractions of the village Halshany still not exhausted. There are several objects worthy of special mention. Firstly, it is a wooden watermill, built here in the late 19th century. This architectural monument is valuable because, as with other wooden structures, eventually Mill in Belarus is less and less. So each of surviving, such as wooden watermill in Halshany village is becoming increasingly valuable.

Halshany

Another attraction that should be separate mention is the chapel built in 1858, located a little away from the village itself Halshany at the local cemetery. This chapel has recently been completely renovated. Now she is in excellent condition. Located right next to the chapel of the track, so it is easy to see. Her condition immediately pleases and how to prepare the tourists and travelers to the inspection rich in Belarusian village Halshany attractions.

Halshany

Also be sure to mention that in the village Halshany has remarkably developed tourist infrastructure. There are cafes, a few shops, a small hotel, ATM, pharmacy and so on. This fact is very well complements the already excellent tourist village atmosphere, its numerous architectural monuments and sights. Visit the village Halshany a part of the many tourist and excursion routes. Often these places are visited and solo travelers in Belarus.

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

Halshany

 

Sketches of Napoleon Orda, Halshany:

Sketches of Napoleon Orda, Halshany

Sketches of Napoleon Orda, Halshany