Rositsa

Rositsa - is a village of Verkhnyadzvinsk district, Vitebsk region of Belarus. The main attraction of the village of Rositsa is Trinity Church, built here in 1911. Catholic church in the village of Rositsa is quite large and is very picturesque – it is located on the hill near the lake. Initially, this church had two tall towers, which can be seen at the old photos (represented slightly below), but in 1934 the tower was demolished, as the church was visible from the territory of what was then Poland, and was, according to the Soviet power, "easy target". The area around the church is very beautifully landscaped. Catholic church in the village of Rositsa is undoubtedly an architectural monument of the early 20th century, the historical and cultural value and an important tourist attraction of Belarus. A lot of tourists and pilgrims come to the Catholic church in the village of Rositsa. They are attracted by not only the architecture of the temple and the surrounding landscape, but the memory of the events taking place here during the Second World War.

Rositsa

In the interwar period the church building was used as a youth club. But when World War II had come to the village of Rositsa in the local Catholic church priests reappeared and began to hold services. Later, in February 1943, the village of Rositsa got into a zone of German punitive operation against partisans, which Germans cynically called "Winter Magic". As part of this operation, Germans planned to build a 40-kilometer zone free of people and settlements. To accomplish this, they burned over 300 villages in Belarus and hundreds more on the territory of Russia. A lot of residents of these villages burned along with their homes, others were sent to concentration camps.

This terrible fate befell the village Rositsa. Local residents were gathered in the church, where they waited almost five days for the German "сourt". All of the time they were supported by the priests - Yuri Kashira and Antony Lashchevich, only they had the right to leave the church. They brought food to people, baptized, confessed, did everything in their power. Then, the young and strong men were sent to the camps, and the elderly, the weak, the sick and pregnant women burned in the biggest houses and stable on the opposite shore of the lake. The priests was asked to leave alive and free, but they stayed with their flock and also died in the fire. A total of 1528 people were killed in Rositsa. At the place of one of the horrible fireplace, which killed more than 600 people and priest Yuri Kashira, discovered the remains of the Cross for the process (the priest was going with him ahead of the column of people), and his burnt hand, which was clamped rosary.

Rositsa

The victim of priest was recognized as an act of bravery. In 1999, Antony Lashchevich and Yuri Kashira beatified as holy martyrs. Now the church in the village of Rositsa twice a year - in February and August - attracts thousands of pilgrims from different countries. People with candles in their hands go by the latest way of the martyrs – to their mass grave. Decoration of the main altar of the temple is dedicated to the horrific events of World War II. There is a large cross at the place where the villagers were killed, and at the entrance to the village of Rositsa there is a small monument with memorial inscriptions. A few words about the Catholic church. After the war, it was used as a club again, and then as a warehouse. At the end of the 20th century church in the village of Rositsa was returned to believers. Now it is restored, but the tower is not rebuilt yet. It is important to note that the church in the village of Rositsa never closes, you can come here to pray at all times, even at night.

Rositsa

Rositsa

Rositsa

Rositsa

In the village of Rositsa there is another small architectural landmark - the ruins of St. Euphrosyne Orthodox Church, which was built here in 1866. The temple in the village of Rositsa turned Into the ruins even before the Second World War, during the communist rebellion. From a large five-domed church only belfry tier on four pillars is preserved.

Rositsa

Rositsa