Valeŭka - is a large village of Navahrudak district, Grodno region of Belarus. The main attraction of the village Valeŭka is the functioning Orthodox Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, very picturesquely located on a small hill above the winding road. According to the most common version, this wooden temple was originally built back in 1685 as a Catholic church in the Catholic monastery of the Dominicans. Then the temple in the village of Valeŭka was repeatedly reconstructed and rebuilt. The most significant reconstruction of the temple was carried out in 1736. It was then that the temple in its main features acquired a modern look. Other reconstructions of the church in the village of Valeŭka were made in the 1840s (the upper tiers of the side towers were dismantled), in the 1870s (a turret with a dome was erected over the central part of the temple) and in the 1930s (a three-tier wooden bell-tower was built in front to the main facade).

Valeŭka

During its long history, the church in the village of Valeŭka changed its confessional affiliation several times. And finally became Orthodox after the suppression of the 1830 uprising. The Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in the village of Valeŭka is a very important architectural, cultural and historical monument of republican significance. The traditions of the Belarusian wooden architecture of the late 17th - early 20th centuries intertwined in this temple. In addition, not so many wooden buildings of the 17th century have been safely preserved to our time, and in fact it is among such sights that the church in the village of Valeŭka is included. Another interesting distinctive feature of the church in the village of Valeŭka is that there is a carved gilded iconostasis, painted by the famous Russian artist Viktor Vasnetsov. This iconostasis was once decorated with an Orthodox cathedral in Warsaw, and was transported to the village of Valeŭka during the dismantling of the Warsaw Orthodox cathedral in 1926.

Valeŭka