Catholic church of Holy Trinity (St. Roch) on the Golden Hill in Minsk - this is one of the few preserved ancient Catholic churches in the capital of Belarus. This church is located in the center of the city of Minsk, on its central avenue, a few hundred meters from Victory Square, however the temple is not visible from the adjacent streets. The fact is that the church is located inside the residential quarter and is surrounded on all sides by tall buildings. This temple has three names at once: the Holy Trinity Church is the official title of the temple. Also, the inhabitants of Minsk call this temple the church of St. Roch, since for a long time there was located here a miraculous statue of this saint. In addition, this temple is sometimes called a church on Golden Hill, since it really is located on the site, whose historical name is Golden Hill.

Catholic church of Holy Trinity (St. Roch) in Minsk

The Catholic church of the Holy Trinity was erected in Minsk from 1861 to 1864. The temple was built on the spot where Jagiello at the end of the 14th century founded the first Catholic church in the district. That wooden temple was burnt in 1409. Built in its place a new wooden church, stood for four centuries, but also burnt in 1809. And only in the second half of the 19th century did it become possible to erect a new stone church on the same spot, which has survived to our time. This Neo-Gothic church was built on funds received from the collection of donations, and they were collected not only by Catholics, but also by representatives of other faiths and religions as a token of gratitude to Saint Roch, who was believed to have saved the city from the cholera epidemic. After the construction of the church was completed, a statue of St. Roch was placed in its right altar. This statue was transferred to the temple from the chapel, which was located nearby and did not survive until our time. This statue of St. Roch was surrounded by wide worship and was considered a miracle-working one.

Catholic church of Holy Trinity (St. Roch) in Minsk

According to some reports, the Holy Trinity Church in Minsk turned out to be one of the first Catholic churches where in the 19th century services were started not only in Polish, but also in Russian. In 1922, all the valuables were requisitioned from the church, and in the 1930s the temple was finally closed, and then the revered statue of St. Roch disappeared. During the Second World War, the Church of the Holy Trinity in Minsk was badly damaged by the fighting. After the end of the war, the building of the temple was adapted to a book depository. In the postwar years, the cemetery around the church was destroyed, and next to it were built residential houses. As a result, the temple was inside the residential quarter. After the restoration of the church in 1983, it was taken under state protection and converted into a concert hall. Since 1991, worship services in the church on the Golden Hill again resumed in their free time from concerts.

Catholic church of Holy Trinity (St. Roch) in Minsk

In 1998, a new statue of St. Roch was installed in the right altar of the church, in the same place where the disappeared historical one was located. In 2006 the hall of chamber music was closed. After that, the temple again began to function fully according to its original purpose. At the moment the church on Golden Hill in Minsk is in excellent condition and is open for believers and tourists. In 2018, the ashes of Magdalena Radziwill, a well-known activist of the Belarusian cultural movement and patron of art, were reburied in the Holy Trinity Church in Minsk. Magdalena Radziwill (1861-1945) financed various periodicals in the Belarusian language, contributed to the publication of books by Belarusian authors, provided material support to various charitable organizations, hospitals, monasteries, opened schools with the Belarusian language of instruction, facilitated the construction of churches, boarding schools and shelters.

Catholic church of Holy Trinity (St. Roch) in Minsk

Catholic church of Holy Trinity (St. Roch) in Minsk