Hieraniony - is a village of Iwye district, Grodno region of Belarus. The main attraction of the village of Hieraniony is the Catholic church of St. Nicholas. This ancient stone temple was built in the Gothic style in 1529. By the way, on the plate placed on the facade of the church it is erroneously stated that it was built in 1519. Over its centuries-old history, the church in the village of Hieraniony was repeatedly reconstructed and repaired. One of the most large-scale reconstructions of the church was made from 1771 to 1779, and it was connected with the fact that in the middle of the 18th century the church in the village of Hieraniony was badly damaged as a result of a powerful fire.

Hieraniony

Then the temple acquired the features of the late Baroque. In 1859 the side sacristies were added to the church in the village of Hieraniony, and in 1883 a porch was added and the main facade was reconstructed. During these reorganizations, the temple acquired certain features of classicism. Nevertheless, despite numerous construction works carried out in the church in the village of Hieraniony, the building of this church is still at the heart of the building of the beginning of the 16th century, and the temple itself has preserved the spirit of antiquity, which is perfectly felt especially in the interior of the church.

Hieraniony

The church in the village of Hieraniony is currently in excellent condition and is open to believers and tourists. Near the church there is a bell tower of the 19th century. The area around the temple is surrounded by a stone fence, the central entrance is decorated with a brama (it means gate). Fencing and brama, as well as the bell tower, were erected in the 19th century. The age of the church in the village of Hieraniony has been around for about 500 years, so this temple is a very valuable architectural and historical monument, as well as an important tourist attraction of Belarus.

Hieraniony

Hieraniony

Opposite the church in the village of Hieraniony there is a hill surrounded by trees and densely overgrown with vegetation. This hill, and a few small fragments of walls located on it, is all that remains of the castle, which was built in the village of Hieraniony in the late 15th century. This castle was surrounded by two moats with water and a shaft 10 meters high and 15 meters wide, reinforced on the inside by a stone wall. Go to the castle could only be through the bridge. Well, the castle in the village of Hieraniony was square in plan and was located on a high foundation. The length of its stone walls was 27 meters, the thickness reached 2 meters. At the corners of the castle towered four cylindrical towers 8 meters in diameter.

Hieraniony

Close to one of the castle walls in the village of Hieraniony was added a two-story stone house, erected in the late 16th century instead of wooden. The castle was destroyed in the middle of the 17th century. For a long time he stood in desolation and collapsed. And in the 19th century, the castle was finally dismantled for building materials. In the village of Hieraniony in the 19th century there was a manor. To this day, from this manor, there have been preserved some not very remarkable outbuildings, which, apparently, were built using the stone that was obtained during the disassembly of the medieval castle.

Hieraniony

 

Sketches of Napoleon Orda, Hieraniony:

Sketches of Napoleon Orda, Hieraniony